The company Loetz was founded in 1836 by Johann Baptist Eisner, it was one of the main glassworks in Bohemia (Czech Republic), belonging to the Austro-Hungarian Empire until 1918.
Susana Loetz, widow of businessman JohannLoetz, took over the factory until 1852. The company was renamed "Glasfabrik Johann Loetz Witwe", a name that remained until all activities were interrupted in 1947.
In 1879 it passed into the hands of Max Ritter von Spaun. Under his guidance, along with director Eduard Prochaska.
The technique "Marmoriertes Glass" ("marble glass") was its specialty, a type of glass simulating semi-precious stones.
Loetz actively participated and was acclaimed at the great World Expositions in Brussels, Munich, Vienna and at the Exposition Universelle in Paris.
Loetz created a second brand called Richard in 1920. The glasses were acid-etched.